Chinese curry is one of the best foods to come out of Asia thanks to its health benefits and great taste.
With a simplified Chinese curry recipe, you can rest assured that your meal will be delicious, nutritious, and, most importantly, healthy.
The need to add other spices to this recipe depends on what you want to serve with your Chinese curry.
You can serve Chinese curry with lentils, rice, white or red meat, fish, or vegetables.
Here is an easy-to-follow Chinese curry recipe to help you prepare a mouthwatering curry meal.
What is Chinese curry?
Before looking at the actual recipe, it is important to describe briefly what a Chinese curry is.
Chinese curries consist of beef, chicken, lamb, fish or other meats plus onions, potatoes, green peppers, and many other spices and ingredients.
These are mixed in a slightly peppery yellow curry sauce served with steamed rice.
Soy sauce, hot chili oil, or white pepper may be added to the sauce to boost the curry’s flavour.
Here you find highlights for easy Chinese curry recipe that you can use at home.
What is Chinese curry sauce made of?
Chinese curry sauce recipe includes stock cubes mixed in boiling water and dissolved by stirring.
You then add cornflour paste to the mixture and continue stirring until it becomes thick.
Cornflour is an excellent thickener for stews, soups, and sauces since it does not require cooking with fat into a roux to remove the floury taste.
You can do the stirring in soy sauce or oyster sauce and add ground ginger, curry powder, five spoonful spice powder, and chili powder.
What’s in a Chinese special curry?
Chinese special curry is an assortment of various meats, including prawn, beef, chicken, and pork.
The mixed meat is cooked according to the Chinese curry sauce recipe, medium spicy hot blended with vegetables.
To include starch in the recipe, you can opt for house special Chinese curry consisting of fried rice served with generous portions of beef, chicken, and shrimps. Top this up with vegetables and eggs and enjoy the meal.
How do you make Chinese sauce from scratch?
When you visit an Asian restaurant, you are handed a plate of quick-made sauce stirred within five minutes of your order. Have you wondered how fast they mix all the required ingredients in a short time?
The secret to this is that chefs do not mix all the required ingredients for the Chinese curry sauce recipe.
They use ready-made curry sauces as a base then add extra flavors for different dishes.
Using this approach may not taste as natural as you wanted, and you may want to do it by yourself. Here is how to make Chinese sauce from scratch.
Ingredients for tasty Chinese sauce
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose soy sauce
- ¼ Chinese wine
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup cornflour or cornstarch
- 1-2 tablespoon ground white pepper
Important Chinese curry sauce instructions
Mix the ingredients in a jar and shake to blend. Keep the Chinese curry sauce in a fridge and always shake before using it.
How to use Chinese sauce to make a delicious meal
The following are the five steps for using Chinese sauce alongside other ingredients for a delicious homemade meal.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in frying pan (wok) over high heat.
- Add your favorite base flavorings and fry for 10 or more seconds to infuse the oil.
- Add stir-fry ingredients depending on the time each takes to cook. Start with the ones that take the longest time. Leave leafy greens like bok choy until you add sauce to avoid wilting and overcooking the vegetables.
- Add noodles if you like, water and sauce plus your additional flavoring and leafy greens.
- Gently toss the content to mix and allow the sauce to cook for about one minute. The sauce will get thick and glossy that it easily coats your stir-fry.
When the cooking is done, serve the sauce when still hot with rice.
What you need to make Chinese curry powder recipe
Chinese curry powder recipe usually includes a mixture of chili powder, turmeric, ground pepper, ginger, cumin, and coriander. It can be bought in medium, hot, or mild strengths.
How to make the best Chinese chicken curry recipe
The ingredients for Chinese chicken curry recipe include:
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 500/1lb 2oz skinless, boneless chicken
- 250g/9oz long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 brown onions thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated garlic
- 600ml/20fl oz chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons of mild curry powder
- 2 mixed peppers, thickly sliced
- 200g/7oz fresh pineapple chunks
- 225g tin sliced water drained chestnuts
A quick method for preparing Chinese chicken curry
Here are the steps for making Chinese chicken curry to be served with rice.
- Following the packet instructions, cook the rice and keep it warm.
- Mix the chicken with cornflour, soy sauce, and Chinese five-spice. Gentle toss to allow even coating.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wide non-stick wok and add the onions. Stir-fry on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it becomes lightly brown and soft.
- Stir in the curry powder, garlic, and ginger for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the already coated chicken and stock and allow to cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the peppers, water chestnuts, and pineapples and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the curry has thickened, and the peppers become tender.
Serve the chicken curry sauce in warm bowls scooped over the rice. Alternatively, you can serve it with noodles if you like. You can also freeze the curry and reheat later if you do not want to repeat the process over and over.
While there are several ingredients involved in the Chinese curry recipe, you can still use the locally available ones to avoid extra expenditures.
You can always make the curry hotter to your taste by adding more chili peppers, ground black pepper or fresh hot pepper. The vegetables added usually contain various nutrients and minerals suitable for your health.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. Healthy Supplies Shop is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of healthy supplies shop and we do not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.