Dogs are faithful creatures and good to have as pets. They are wonderful companions and have a strong sense of smell and instincts hence are able to detect danger around us and provide protection.
For them to live a healthy and happy life, the owner must ensure that they are taken care of well.
They have to be fed well, exercised, and treated when they fall ill.
As a caring owner, one of the best things you can give your dog is flaxseed oil. It has a lot of health benefits. The details are outlined below.
What is it?
This is a supplement extracted from the seeds of the flax plant. It belongs to the same category of health products as fish oil. It also contains omega – 3 and omega – 6 fatty acids.
These are known to promote organ development, fight inflammation, and strengthen immunity to mention but a few of the uses. Sometimes it is more preferable to fish oil because it lacks the taste and strong scent of fish that some dogs don’t like.
Food can also be made from the seeds which are rich in dietary fiber.
What are the benefits?
- It is rich in fatty acids – as mentioned earlier, it is a great source of omega– 3 and omega–6 fatty acids. These are contained in a balanced ratio thus preventing side effects such as oily skin which is usually because of too much concentration of the fatty acids. These are essential in the proper development of various body tissues and the functioning of systems. It also contains antioxidants such as lignin. As such it boosts immunity.
- It promotes healthy joints – the supplement aids in cartilage growth and regeneration thus ensuring smooth joint movements and quick healing. It also has alpha-linoleic acid that together with the antioxidants helps fight inflammations and other joint diseases thus guaranteeing joint health and pain-free motion. This allows the dog to move freely and exercise which translates to good condition.
- It aids in digestion – dogs eat lots of stuff some of which might be difficult to digest properly thus causing constipation. This might also be due to digestive tract disorders. The supplement has healing properties that can treat the disorders and also lubricate the tract well hence promoting proper digestion and absorption. This allows for free bowel movements that prevent constipation.
- It fights diseases and regulates body mechanisms – the supplement has been found to not only strengthen the immune system but also fight diseases that are already present. The antioxidants help fight off cancerous cells and agents thus preventing cancer. It also regulates the cholesterol levels and metabolism hence placing your pet at a low risk of heart diseases.
- It promotes healthy skin – for most pets, their health condition is usually reflected by the appearance of their skin. This is in terms of color, texture, and developments such as rashes. A dog with dry itchy skin might simply be in need of a proper bath or it could mean that its skin’s oil is depleted. Poor skin condition makes it vulnerable to contagious infections transmitted by contact. This supplement restores the skin to its natural healthy condition which looks good and also provides protection.
Are there any side effects?
The supplement is very safe for consumption and does not have any adverse side effects. If administered in proportions larger than prescribed, then pets might get mild nausea. Dosage is usually determined based on the breed, weight, and age of the animal among other factors. Prolonged excessive use can lead to oily skin which goes away when usage is stopped or reverted to normal.
Supplements are good for pets just as they are for humans. They might be expensive at times but the tremendous benefits that they possess make it worth the price. For good results, you have to administer them consistently and be patient. Remember to stick to the specific dosage for your pet as indicated on the bottle. If it’s missing, then contact your vet first and have them direct you on the right amount. Also if there are any adverse side effects you should immediately stop the usage and take them to the vet.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. Healthy Supplies Shop is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of healthy supplies shop and we do not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.